Saturday, November 28, 2009

Reflections on Stereotyping: Perceptions, Attitudes and Preferences

This week I completed a paper on stereotyping. Stereotyping being a general, blanket character description of  an individual or group based upon perception. While not surprised with the research on the stereotyping African Americans , it was definitely a confirmation of what society in general thinks of the work ethics of African Americans. I have experienced being stereotyped, I have had open discussions with other ethnic groups about stereotypes and sometimes specifically about their experiences with African Americans and other ethnic groups in the work market. I wanted this paper to be as candid as possible, siting both empirical research and my subjective opinion based upon my personal experiences. I think that I accomplished this and hopefully without being offensive. I pointed out some factors that have contributed to the doragatory stereotyping of African Americans such as slavery and its affect on the psyche of African American people. I think is a valid reason, although not an excuse for African Americans to lie dormant in an infinite state of "being the victim" and ignorance. I used the term ignorant because in my opinion "it is the culprit and the shackles that bind the mind"

"Education expands the worldview, letting its light reveal truth, meaning, understanding and wisdom and therefore freedom to be as you are without judgment and bitterness"

"Understanding releases you to forgive and move on."

Many of the comments and the studies revealed that African American men in particular are viewed as intellectually challenged, lazy and rude; not serious about their work. Although, a stereotype, there are many African Americans that do fit this stereotype, not to say that no other group fits this description. The studies also reveal that the stereotypes predominantly apply to persons in lower socioeconomic brackets, meaning the less educated, less financially capable fit this stereotypes more often than the educated and well-to-do. Although, again, the stereotype cannot not be applied to all of the less educated. I know plenty of well educated people, Masters level and beyond that live up to some of the stereotypes.

'Education is to knowledge, as understanding is to wisdom".

In other words, many are learned(an old saying), but this doesn't equate to wisdom. Understanding is key.

The wisdom that stereotyping has given me is that "no one ever truly fits the box or stereotype that we try to put them in or build around them". I have been the victimizer as well and no one has ever truly fit the stereotype. There is always a variable that throws you off.

So my motto is:

"Give everyone a clean slate and let them introduce themselves, revealing who they are by their actions and attitudes, not those of others that they resemble."

In all of your getting, get understanding. Peace and Blessings