Sunday, July 24, 2011

If There Is Nothing New Under the Sun, How Can We Be Innovative?

It is really interesting that I think of so many things as I’m getting everybody ready in the morning, including myself. Although there seems to be no time to ponder or day dream, thoughts still seem to penetrate the fullness of activity going on. These thoughts maybe about someone that I’ve missed seeing at work because they’ve been on vacation or it could be clarity or another perspective on something. It amazes me every time these thoughts are able to get through the chaos of the morning rush!

It happened again on Monday morning. I was flossing or something in the mirror, thinking about being innovative. “How can my work be unique?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 says:
9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

The answer that came to me was “you”. You are what makes your work unique. If we are all unique, then this makes sense! No one is exactly like you! So this means that the true innovation factor is “YOU”. ME!

This takes a bit of the edge off because now you can abandon The Joneses Plan of action. Focus on you! The Joneses are the Joneses and you are you. Your power and innovation lies in

(1) Authenticity

(2) Belief in your talents and abilities

(3) Fully Flavoring Your Life and Work with Your Essence – I like This! The world should be able to feel you! THIS IS CALLED YOUR BRAND!

(4) Your ability to communicate your BRAND to the world in words, visuals, emotions and telepathically, if possible. LOL!!

I’m laughing at the telepathic statement, but I’m serious. I had an experience once in a dream, where at the end of the dream, there was a woman that told me that I could get a better understanding by reading her book. She told me her name. When I awakened, I immediately googled her, finding her website. And I emailed her. Amazing, she was a real person and author! I told her of the experience and joked about the telepathic marketing tool. I do not read fiction, but because of the dream, I ordered the first of her books, “The Eight”. I had never heard of her before that dream.

(5) Continued connection to Creator for guidance and support. Be prayerful in all situations, acknowledging all that are on your team and helping you in achieving your highest good. Yes, this includes angels, guides and ancestors, if you believe.

You will learn from you industry leaders, mentors and peers, but do not overlook your innovative qualities, that are unique to you. These qualities are your talents, interests, experiences, worldview and passions. Together, these qualities have created “The One and Only”.

Here is some advice based upon my own experiences and practices.

You are a walking bill board, representing YOU! Throughout my career there are a few things my leaders have told me:

o You are well liked and respected.

o A good name goes a long way.

o You have a bright future ahead of you.

• Keep track of the advice and acknowledgements of peers, mentors and leaders. They are telling you what they see, looking from the outside in.

• Draw off of those things that you are passionate about.

• Never be afraid to stand out in the crowd.

• Be able to stand alone. It is your vision. You will gain more comrades, as your vision becomes clearer. PEOPLE LOVE TO BE A PART OF A WINNING TEAM. MOST WANT TO SEE A WINNING TRACK RECORD FIRST. LOL!!!

• Always look for ways that you can improve.

• Keep getting up.

• Every day is a new day.

• Don’t beat yourself up over failures.

• Be patient, it may not be time.

• Do everything you can towards your goal and let God bridge the gap.

• When options and situations muddy your view, WAIT UNTIL THE COAST IS CLEAR BEFORE MAKING A DECISION. Everything shows its true colors over time.

Matthew 5:16
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.