Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bad Habits Are Hard To Break

Quality versus quantity seems to be an underlying challenge in my life right now, at work and at home. I guess this is a decision that we all have to make in everything we do. Do you you half do it or do it well, to the best of your ability. I chose the later in part because half doing really bothers me and takes away from how I feel about my self, one, and number two it is definitely a reflection of how I feel about others and my career. Anything I agree to is important to me and deserves my best. So, how do we maintain excellence and quality, not giving in to the temptation of quickly doing or fixing something; finding the short and rather inadequate route to completion? How do we consistently provide quality service to our clients when there is pressure for volume and quantity to maintain funding or to make a quota?  Or, is this relationship an oxymoron, a combination of contradictory ideas or terms?

The issue of quantity as priority over quality is a systemic problem with my current employer and it was actually confirmed as the method to their madness by an administrator, "numbers first", "quality second". "Ohh, now I get it".  Simply put and for some reason this is what I needed to put me at peace.  Although their actions spoke very clearly, I needed the verbal confirmation in order to accept that this non-profit, social services organization was more concerned about numbers than the quality of the delivery of services; or the outcome of the clients.  We need the funding, that is based on meeting quotas. The quota expectation drives the demand for more than we can handle case loads, responsibilities, etc. Which in terms diminishes the quality of work of the organization.  VALUES? ETHICS? MISSION?

While I disagree with this stance and it goes against my personal and professional values, I understand their position. Without funding and money, the agency would be no longer. But, my position is that, one's "good name" is his/her strength, leverage and path to better opportunity to serve and be served. This mindset of quantity over quality cannot be perpetual or it will become a habit, as it has been for my current employer.

Bad habits are hard to break and are perpetuated in all aspects of your life.