Tuesday, September 29, 2009

End of Life Stage of Adult Development

Have you assessed your life recently.  You know, have you assessed your progress according to a plan? Do you have a plan, a life plan, a vocational/career plan that you are working towards? If so, do you see progress? Are you happy with where you are? How are your interpersonal relationships? Do they need improvement? Are you actively working on them? Are you mentally, spiritually and physically fit? The bottom line is are you taking care of business or are you stagnant?

These are questions that I ask myself quite often.  I'll be celebrating my 40th birthday in November and to tell you the truth, my progress in this life is my greatest concern. Meeting the mark, in the eyes of God, according to my purpose.  I know that this gets into a lot of depth, when you include God, but my belief is that having God as my creator, means the Creator is all knowing of me. God is my source of knowledge and wisdom in reference to how I should govern my affairs and take action. 

That said, I am in constant dialogue about my goings and my comings. Am I on the right track? "God lead me in the way that I should go." "Prosper me in all of my ways." " I pray that in my path is life." Life is very important to me because it is a chance to fulfill my purpose in this life. It is a chance to do a good work according to my call.  It is a chance to grow spiritually. It is a chance to help others on their path as well, especially my children. How better to care for others than to care for yourself and your progress in meeting your mark?

Can you imagine reaching the end of your life and not being satisfied with your efforts to meet your mark? Perhaps you weren't aware of your purpose and the idea of meeting a mark? Perhaps you are spending your seventy or eighty years on this earth just getting by; mediocre in all areas; mentally, spiritually, physically, family and career.  The idea of this scares me more so now because I have children. Their lives depend on me giving my best to this world, therefore to them. When I am older and the end of my life nears, I want to be able to say I met my mark. I at least want to say I did my very best with the resources I was afforded. I don't want to end my life like the older gentleman in "Wild Strawberries" a 1957 film by Ingmar Bergman about an old man, Isak Borg's reevaluation of his life. Sure he was a well accomplished medical doctor, but many other areas of his life had suffered, especially his family. He had been less than caring and emotionally unsupportive to those closest to him. The cost to him was dispair and remorse. This is not the way anyone should want to end their physical life. (spirit is eternal) It is not the way I want to end my life.

So, lets challenge each other to do our best. Let's inspire ourselves and others to up their standard of living. What are you dreams and inspirations? They are possible you know. All things are possible as long as they are in line with you innate gifts and talents.

"Wisdom is the principal thing. Therefore get wisdom. And, in all of your getting, get understanding."  Proverbs 4:7

Peace and Blessings